Reverend Fr. Cletus Omode
Founded in 1956, Saint Lawrence served all the Catholics of Aventura and North Miami Beach, joining the other only area parish, Holy Family. The parish began with a small school that met in a store in North Miami Beach. Later, parishioners purchased a portable building placed on parish property; the building functioned as a school on weekdays and for Mass on weekends. By 1957, the parishioners had increased so much that Mass was moved to the North Miami Beach Junior High School auditorium.
Two years later, the growing parish raised enough funds to build a church, school and convent. When the parish celebrated its thirteenth anniversary in 1969, they sold a parcel of land to a Jewish congregation who built the Temple Sinai of North Dade. Parishioners and their Jewish counterparts established a warm, friendly relationship, depending on each other to fulfill needs as they rose.
A 1986 church and parish hall renovation turned the altar to face the congregation and created a better separation between the church and parish hall than the curtain formerly used.